NEW HANOVER COUNTY, NC – Join Cape Fear Museum, Carolina Beach State Park, Cape Fear Astronomical Society and many other community partners for a fun-filled evening of stargazing and astronomy-themed activities on Friday, April 20, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Carolina Beach State Park (1010 State Park Road, Carolina Beach).
This year’s theme, Anyone Out There?, explores the question of whether there is life elsewhere in the universe, how we might find it and what it might look like. Be part of an event that is happening statewide, and bring a flashlight!
At this free event, visitors can:
- Go on a laser-guided, night-sky tour of the stars and planets.
- Get up close views of the Moon, stars, planets and more using a variety of telescopes.
- Enjoy a planetarium show for a fun orientation to the night skies.
- Cuddle up with loved ones and listen to star-themed stories at the Stellar Story Corner.
- Examine the Pioneer Plaque, decipher its message and craft your own symbolic message for the cosmos.
- Join NASA’s fictional Exoplanet Travel Bureau and promote futuristic interstellar travel.
- Become an astrobiologist and investigate icy orbs to reveal their secret interiors.
- Meet Earth’s extremophiles, find out what they might tell us about life outside of earth, and design an extraterrestrial life form.
- Discover how scientists find planets around distant stars and where these worlds are located.
- Enter raffles to win prizes and passes to local attractions.
Star Party community partners include:
- Cape Fear Museum of History and Science
- Cape Fear Museum Associates
- Carolina Beach State Park
- Children’s Museum of Wilmington
- Friends of Pleasure Island State Parks
- Cape Fear Astronomical Society
- National Weather Service – Wilmington Office
- New Hanover County Public Library
- New Hanover County Schools
- New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office – VIPR and Explorer Groups
- Town of Carolina Beach
- UNC-Wilmington Center for Education in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics
- UNC-Wilmington Centro Hispano Embajadores
- UNC-Wilmington Department of Physics and Physical Oceanography
- UNC-Wilmington Women in Science & Engineering
- Wilmington Trolley Company
- Sun Fun Rentals
NC Science Festival’s sixth annual Statewide Star Party is made possible through the support of NC Space Grant. Participating organizations and institutions across the state will be hosting sky-watching parties to help people discover the wonders of their night skies.
Star Party will happen rain or shine. However, some activities are weather dependent. In the event of cloudy/overcast skies, telescope viewings and laser-guided constellation tours will be cancelled. In the event of rain, outdoor activity stations will be canceled and only those inside the park’s visitor center will remain, however, space and parking will be limited. Check for weather and event updates right up until the event begins at www.capefearmuseum.com/programs/starparty/.
Event parking is at the marina, located at the back of the park. Complimentary shuttle service is generously provided by the Wilmington Trolley Company. Handicap transportation via golf cart is available upon request.
Cape Fear Museum of History and Science, a New Hanover County department, is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday, and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. General admission is $7 for adults; $6 for students with valid ID and senior citizens; $6 special military rate with valid military ID; $4 for children 6-17; and free for children 5 and under. Museum members are admitted free. New Hanover County residents’ free day is the first Sunday of each month. The museum is located at 814 Market Street in historic downtown Wilmington, NC. More information: www.capefearmuseum.com.
Jameson McDermott, Museum Educator
Cape Fear Museum